Subject: Re: bug#48672: outline faces

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 00:17:58 +0200

[email-masked] writes:

> (defface outline-8
>   '((t :inherit font-lock-string-face))
>   "Level 8.")
>
> It would be appreciated that outline faces have their own faces rather
> than inheriting faces for faces assigned to functions, keywords,
> comments, etc...

They are their own faces -- and inherit from common font-lock faces.  We
use this pattern all over Emacs to define faces, and it allows us to (by
default) have a smaller number of colour combinations to define.

If users want to change the outline faces, they can do so.  It's perhaps
slightly surprising that changing the font-lock faces also results in
changing the outline faces, but I think we can live with that.

Closing.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no