Subject: Re: bug#4867: 23.1; dired cannot find gunzip with Z; Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 20:55:37 +0200

> From: "Xah Lee" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:56:09 -0800
> Cc: 
> 
> when using emacs on Windows, when in dired, when i press Z on a file that's 
> gzip compressed, emacs tells me:
> 'gunzip' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> 
> the problem is apparently that emacs won't recognize the gunzip shell script 
> without the exe suffix.

No, this error message comes from the OS, not from Emacs.  Windows
does not support invocation of Unixy shell scripts, and thus Emacs,
being a native Windows program that uses Windows APIs, cannot run
them.

To make this work, create a Windows batch file unzip.bat which invokes
gzip.exe with the -d switch.  Then Emacs will find it and do what you
want.

I'm closing this bug.