Subject: 28.0.50; gnus stuck with error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)

From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 13:11:54 +0530

I tried this on master (f4dc646e0d7fb673f3149836bb7299fba9539e80).

Gnus was stuck with the error mentioned in subject. So I tried
gnus-no-server. But this also give same error. 

Command => M-x gnus-no-server

Output =>
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)
  <=(nil 2)
  gnus-get-unread-articles(2 t)
  gnus-setup-news(nil 2 t)
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x19b8027b7c7a8343>)()
  gnus-1(2 t nil)
  gnus(2 t nil)
  gnus-no-server-1(nil nil)
  gnus-no-server(nil)
  funcall-interactively(gnus-no-server nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-no-server record nil)
  command-execute(gnus-no-server record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "gnus-no-server" nil)
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "gnus-no-server" nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin20.5.0, NS appkit-2022.50 Version 11.4 (Build 20F71))
 of 2021-05-26 built on mb2.local
Repository revision: c60d707f2cc62b4cbe7f9c29d6ff9c2ae0277f9b
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2022
System Description:  macOS 11.4

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  flymake-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  direnv-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort flyspell ispell ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail
ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode
exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m mail-extr emacsbug nnselect
gnus-search nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnml nnfolder epa-file gnutls
network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
nntp gnus-cache .gnus ebdb-message sendmail ebdb-gnus gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit sh-script smie
executable checkdoc vc-git flymake-proc flymake warnings elec-pair
markdown-mode color init savehist desktop frameset ob-plantuml ob-sql
ob-css ob-js ob-java ob-C cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ob-python python tramp-sh
tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat
shell parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp ob-R modus-operandi-theme modus-themes
ebdb-mua ebdb-com ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev eieio-opt speedbar ezimage
dframe eieio-base pcase timezone direnv diff-mode dash po-mode sesman vc
vc-dispatcher edmacro kmacro clojure-mode lisp-mnt align imenu
rust-utils thingatpt rust-mode rx rust-rustfmt rust-playpen rust-compile
compile text-property-search rust-cargo org-mime ox-org ox-odt rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns
nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html table ox-ascii
ox-publish ox org-element avl-tree generator org ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list org-faces
org-entities time-date org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-table ol org-keys org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs noutline outline
delight hideshow tex crm texmathp cl-extra help-mode finder-inf
use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core server avoid
paren cus-load tex-site info early-init package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 750397 40036)
 (symbols 48 42490 3)
 (strings 32 180927 13908)
 (string-bytes 1 5543510)
 (vectors 16 77202)
 (vector-slots 8 1702358 75067)
 (floats 8 476 91)
 (intervals 56 1155 0)
 (buffers 992 41))

-- 
Regards,
Pankaj Jangid