Subject: Overfull hbox, Unicode code points style (display.texi)

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 17:24:44 +0200

Changes are in the attached DIFF file (DISPLAY.DIFF).

As for the "overfull hbox", in the end I decided to simply add a
discretionary hyphen (@-) after 2nd hyphen (when I added it after
every hyphen, the line was broken after 2nd hyphen). Alternatively,
someone will have to rearrange the sentence.

As for Unicode code points it was decided to use "U+NNNN @sc{char
name}", so I adjusted all of them.

Additionally, I changed, in the last paragraph of "Visual Line Mode"
section, typesetting of the category char to use @samp{} instead of
``...''.

Finally, in a different file - FIXIT.TEXI - there is line 356, where
the word "dictionary" uses a discretionary hyphens - are they used
somewhere? Because, in the PDF there is no line breaking for this
sentence and if it's correct, perhaps adding this word to
DOCSTYLE.TEXI would be a better option.

--
S. U.
--- old/doc/emacs/display.texi	2021-05-18 21:14:36.794570300 +0200
+++ new/doc/emacs/display.texi	2021-05-19 10:54:39.778502900 +0200
@@ -1189,8 +1189,8 @@
 program.
 
   To activate the fill-column indication display, use the minor modes
-@w{@kbd{M-x display-fill-column-indicator-mode}} and
-@w{@kbd{M-x global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode}}, which enable
+@kbd{M-x display-fill-@-column-indicator-mode} and
+@kbd{M-x global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode}, which enable
 the indicator locally or globally, respectively.
 
 Alternatively, you can set the two buffer-local variables
@@ -1220,8 +1220,8 @@
 through the functions @code{display-fill-column-indicator-mode} or
 @code{global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode}, they will use the
 character specified by this variable, if it is non-@code{nil};
-otherwise Emacs will use the character @samp{U+2502 VERTICAL LINE},
-falling back to @samp{|} if @code{U+2502} cannot be displayed.
+otherwise Emacs will use the character U+2502 @sc{box drawings light vertical},
+falling back to @samp{|} if U+2502 cannot be displayed.
 
 @item fill-column-indicator
 @vindex fill-column-indicator
@@ -1577,8 +1577,8 @@
 @cindex control characters on display
   The @acronym{ASCII} character set contains non-printing @dfn{control
 characters}.  Two of these are displayed specially: the newline
-character (Unicode code point @code{U+000A}) is displayed by starting
-a new line, while the tab character (@code{U+0009}) is displayed as a
+character (Unicode code point U+000A) is displayed by starting
+a new line, while the tab character (U+0009) is displayed as a
 space that extends to the next tab stop column (normally every 8
 columns).  The number of spaces per tab is controlled by the
 buffer-local variable @code{tab-width}, which must have an integer
@@ -1587,17 +1587,17 @@
 definition of @key{TAB} as a command.
 
   Other @acronym{ASCII} control characters, whose codes are below
-@code{U+0020} (octal 40, decimal 32), are displayed as a caret
+U+0020 (octal 40, decimal 32), are displayed as a caret
 (@samp{^}) followed by the non-control version of the character, with
 the @code{escape-glyph} face.  For instance, the @samp{control-A}
-character, @code{U+0001}, is displayed as @samp{^A}.
+character, U+0001, is displayed as @samp{^A}.
 
 @cindex octal escapes
 @vindex ctl-arrow
-  The raw bytes with codes @code{U+0080} (octal 200) through
-@code{U+009F} (octal 237) are displayed as @dfn{octal escape
+  The raw bytes with codes U+0080 (octal 200) through
+U+009F (octal 237) are displayed as @dfn{octal escape
 sequences}, with the @code{escape-glyph} face.  For instance,
-character code @code{U+0098} (octal 230) is displayed as @samp{\230}.
+character code U+0098 (octal 230) is displayed as @samp{\230}.
 If you change the buffer-local variable @code{ctl-arrow} to
 @code{nil}, the @acronym{ASCII} control characters are also displayed
 as octal escape sequences instead of caret escape sequences.  (You can
@@ -1616,11 +1616,11 @@
 realization, e.g., by yanking; for instance, source code compilers
 typically do not treat non-@acronym{ASCII} spaces as whitespace
 characters.  To deal with this problem, Emacs displays such characters
-specially: it displays @code{U+00A0} (no-break space) and other
+specially: it displays U+00A0 @sc{no-break space} and other
 characters from the Unicode horizontal space class with the
-@code{nobreak-space} face, and it displays @code{U+00AD} (soft
-hyphen), @code{U+2010} (hyphen), and @code{U+2011} (non-breaking
-hyphen) with the @code{nobreak-hyphen} face.  To disable this, change
+@code{nobreak-space} face, and it displays U+00AD @sc{soft hyphen},
+U+2010 @sc{hyphen}, and U+2011 @sc{non-breaking
+hyphen} with the @code{nobreak-hyphen} face.  To disable this, change
 the variable @code{nobreak-char-display} to @code{nil}.  If you give
 this variable a non-@code{nil} and non-@code{t} value, Emacs instead
 displays such characters as a highlighted backslash followed by a
@@ -1829,15 +1829,15 @@
 That produces incorrect results when CJK and Latin text are mixed
 together (because CJK characters don't use whitespace to separate
 words).  You can customize the option @code{word-wrap-by-category} to
-allow Emacs to break lines after any character with ``|'' category
+allow Emacs to break lines after any character with @samp{|} category
 (@pxref{Categories,,, elisp, the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual}), which
 provides better support for CJK characters.  Also, if this variable is
 set using Customize, Emacs automatically loads @file{kinsoku.el}.
 When @file{kinsoku.el} is loaded, Emacs respects kinsoku rules when
-breaking lines.  That means characters with the ``>'' category don't
-appear at the beginning of a line (e.g., U+FF0C FULLWIDTH COMMA), and
-characters with the ``<'' category don't appear at the end of a line
-(e.g., U+300A LEFT DOUBLE ANGLE BRACKET).  You can view the category
+breaking lines.  That means characters with the @samp{>} category don't
+appear at the beginning of a line (e.g., U+FF0C @sc{fullwidth comma}), and
+characters with the @samp{<} category don't appear at the end of a line
+(e.g., U+300A @sc{left double angle bracket}).  You can view the category
 set of a character using the commands @code{char-category-set} and
 @code{category-set-mnemonics}, or by typing @kbd{C-u C-x =} with point
 on the character and looking at the ``category'' section in the