Subject: bug#48654: Overfull hbox, Unicode code points style (display.texi)

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 21:00:47 +0200

>>> Please use the exact names of the characters as they appear in the
>>> UnicodeData.txt file.
>> Hmmm... which one is incorrect?
> I didn't say there were any, but I saw you were changing the names,
> and wanted to make sure you take the names from the official source.

I only changed one name, but all are correct, according to the
UnicodeData.txt and 'describe-char'.

>>> Also, why remove @code{..} from the "U+NNNN" notation -- what does
>>> that solve?
>> Because, ~2 years ago you decided to follow Unicode docs notation,
>> and I'm just fixing the leftovers. See your commit:
>> (...)/emacs.git/commit/?id=f68b33f50299339a36da29cd1913d19fd5f288e0
> OK, that just emphasizes the importance of providing the commit log
> message with reasoning when you propose a patch, TIA.

There were various styles of Unicode code points and character names
across Emacs manual ~2 years ago. It was decided to follow Unicode
notation, so I'm following it. Then, the reason is... consistency?

Perhaps you could use the same messages:
    Fix styling of Unicode codepoints in manuals
OR
    Canonicalize the style of "U+NNNN CHARACTER NAME".

>> I don't know if it's a good idea to keep this just in case someone
>> changes the text in the future, or makes PDF using A5 page format.
>> Currently (official PDF), it's not close to a line break.
> What's the harm?

None? But...

>> (...) if it stays, I suggest moving it to DOCSTYLE.TEXI, (...)
> Fine with me.

...since you agreed with moving it to DOCSTYLE.TEXI, let it be the
solution.