Subject: Re: bug#48654: Overfull hbox, Unicode code points style (display.texi)

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 09:37:37 +0200

>> As for Unicode code points it was decided to use "U+NNNN @sc{char
 >> name}", so I adjusted all of them.
 >
 > Please use the exact names of the characters as they appear in the
 > UnicodeData.txt file.

Hmmm... which one is incorrect?

 > Also, why remove @code{..} from the "U+NNNN" notation -- what does
 > that solve?

Because, ~2 years ago you decided to follow Unicode docs notation, and
I'm just fixing the leftovers. See your commit:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=f68b33f50299339a36da29cd1913d19fd5f288e0

 >> Finally, in a different file - FIXIT.TEXI - there is line 356,
 >> where the word "dictionary" uses a discretionary hyphens - are they
 >> used somewhere?  Because, in the PDF there is no line breaking for
 >> this sentence and if it's correct, perhaps adding this word to
 >> DOCSTYLE.TEXI would be a better option.
 >
 > It depends on surrounding text: if the word gets close to a line
 > break, we want it to break correctly.

I don't know if it's a good idea to keep this just in case someone
changes the text in the future, or makes PDF using A5 page format.
Currently (official PDF), it's not close to a line break.

But if it stays, I suggest moving it to DOCSTYLE.TEXI, where other
problematic words are gathered below this line:
   @c It turns out TeX sometimes fails to hyphenate, so we help it here
   @hyphenation{...}