Subject: Re: bug#48639: 28.0.50; tabulated-list-mode: columns move if previous entry was too long

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 13:57:53 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The problem can be observed in e.g. M-x list-processes, reducing the
>> width of a column with `{' until it is too narrow to fit the text (you
>> now see "..."), and finally `C-x -' to decrease the font size.
>
> I'm not sure I understand: is this about the fact that "C-x -" and
> friends doesn't affect all the faces?

Hmm.  No, I don't think that's it.  Or maybe I don't understand what
you're saying.

What I see is that one column, immediately after one where text is
hidden with "04" due to lack of space, stops lining up.

So in `M-x list-processes' the first four columns look something like
this on my screen (the first line is the header line):

Process         PID       Status    Buffer
ielm            1651304 run          *ielm*
ispell          2423740 run          --
server          --        listen    --

Note how on the first and second line below the header, "run" does not
align with "Status" in the header like "listen" does.  Instead they end
up stuck next to "40".

This happens when you have first shrunk the column to be too small using
`{', and then scale the font size down using `C-x -'.