Subject: bug#48628: tags-search fails to find all occurences and finds one that it shouldn't

From: "Bob Floyd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 09:02:54 -0700

Hi,

Attached are 3 files, 'f1.cpp', 'f2.cpp', and 'TAGS'.

I'm using the development 28.0.50 version on Windows.

Start emacs and:

1. C-x 2 (split-window-below)

2. C-x C-f (find-file) "f1.cpp" in the upper window

3. C-x C-f (find-file) "f2.cpp" in the lower window

4. left-mouse click in the upper window top left (location of the search
start)

5. <f3> (tags-search) the string "_cu" using the attached TAGS file

   Tags search (regexp): _cu

6. M-, (fileloop-continue) until reaching "All files processed"

   The matches are on lines:

   f1.cpp: 7, 25, 65, 104, 121

   f2.cpp: 7, 25, 65, 104, 121

   (both f1 and f2 have identical contents).

7. In the upper window, switch to buffer f1.cpp and go to line 53:

8. mark line 53 and move down to line 72, then delete the selection:

   You're deleting this:

   case ECall::DPI::_pow_:

      {

                IT::IAcc                 _one ( R()->c1.CastTo( _ty ) );

                IT::IAcc                 _zero( R()->c0.CastTo( _ty ) );

                IT::IAcc                 _condBase

                ( _theFunction.Arg(0) .EqEq( IT::FlagsOfIKind(), _zero ) );

                IT::IAcc                 _condExp

                ( _theFunction.Arg(1) .LT( IT::FlagsOfIKind(), _zero ) );

                // Specialize to capture `0 ** 0` and return 1.

                IT::IfHlpr              _testSpcl

                ( _cu, _condBase .AndAnd (IT::FlagsOfIKind(), _condExp),
IT::List() );

                _testSpcl.True() << _one.Return();

                _body << _testSpcl;

                break;

      }

9. M-< (beginning-of-buffer) in the upper window ("f1.cpp")

10. <f3> (tags-search) the string "_cu" 

   Tags search (regexp): _cu

11. M-, (fileloop-continue) until reaching "All files processed"

   The matches are on lines:

   7, 25, 85, 102, 115, 121

   NOTE 115 is wrong, it is this line that does not contain "_cu"

#     ifdef C_FILE_GENERATOR

   NOTE only 1 of the "_cu"s was deleted so instead of 10 occurrences there

   should be 9 BUT it only found 6.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)

of 2021-01-15 built on CIRROCUMULUS

Repository revision: f45be48ddbde00610e1e08fca6590dcf24a4e1b5

Repository branch: master

Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19042

System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise (v10.0.2009.19042.985)

Configured using:

'configure --without-dbus --without-compress-install -C 'CFLAGS=-O2

-static -g3' PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/mingw64/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:

ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY

W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XPM

ZLIB

Important settings:

  value of $LANG: ENU

  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:

  shell-dirtrack-mode: t

  show-paren-mode: t

  tooltip-mode: t

  global-eldoc-mode: t

  electric-indent-mode: t

  mouse-wheel-mode: t

  menu-bar-mode: t

  file-name-shadow-mode: t

  global-font-lock-mode: t

  font-lock-mode: t

  blink-cursor-mode: t

  auto-composition-mode: t

  auto-encryption-mode: t

  auto-compression-mode: t

  line-number-mode: t

  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:

None found.

Features:

(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs

rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs

text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231

mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums

mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils misearch multi-isearch two-column

help-mode thingatpt etags fileloop generator xref project time-date

pcmpl-unix web-mode advice derived edmacro kmacro shell pcomplete comint

ansi-color ring printing ps-print ps-print-loaddefs ps-def lpr paren

cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine

cc-vars cc-defs finder-inf tex-site info package easymenu browse-url url

url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie

url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq

eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map

url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib

iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks

lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win

w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe

tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode

prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer

select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core

term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang

misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms

cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian

cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook

jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button

loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay

sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget

hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty

make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:

((conses 16 192149 7744)

(symbols 48 14547 1)

(strings 32 50102 1978)

(string-bytes 1 1608447)

(vectors 16 21762)

(vector-slots 8 294115 19624)

(floats 8 263 356)

(intervals 56 3062 0)

(buffers 984 18))