Subject: Re: bug#48596: CC Mode 5.34.1 (C/*l); Typing `(` des not trigger eldoc

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 18:50:48 +0000

Hello, Lars and Johannes.

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 12:20:44 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Johannes Neyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> > `(` is bound to `c-electric-paren` which does not trigger eldoc by
> > default.

This is true.

> Most modes have`(` bound to `self-insert-command`.

This is also true.

There seems to be a suggestion that if CC Mode's ( were bound to
self-insert-command, suddenly eldoc facilities would become available.
This is sadly not true.

Doing a quick grep through lisp/progmodes, it seems that those languages
which use eldoc do not have compile-time type checking.  This makes it
far easier to write the whole argument sequence of a function into the
limited space of the echo area.

The languages using eldoc seem to be in a minority - Lisp, Python, Perl,
Octave.  I do not know if the eldoc infrastructure handles languages
with compile-time type annotations.

> > See https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot/issues/696 for reference.

> (I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
> at the time.)

> Perhaps Alan has some comments here; added to the CCs.

I think that to add an eldoc facility to CC Mode would be quite a lot of
work.  Patches are welcome!

> -- 
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>    bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).