Subject: Re: bug#48595: `guix install mes` fails in 'check'-phase

From: Gabriel Wicki <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 01:14:25 +0200

(This is a reply to the original bug report [0]; cross-posting to
[email-masked] for reasons described below. I hope this is ok)

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 02:52:41PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
Hello!

I guess i need to clarify: it's not mes building that fails; it's
mescc-tools (version 0.7.0 on x86_64) (which mes depends upon).
Sorry for the confusion.

> Could this be non-deterministic?
I have the same problem in guix on my Debian host and in my qemu Guix
System. And since the error is the same as in the build on
ci.guix.gnu.org [1] i'm under the impression that it might be (at least
somewhat) deterministic ;)
I should be able to test this in my (real) Guix System host tomorrow.

> Thoughts?
Digging through the CI logs a bit i found mescc-tools-0.7.0 failing
to build for x86_64[2]. Also there is this build (mes-0.23 for x86_64)
failing with the same errors [3], but during `check' phase for
dependency nyacc-1.00.2 (this is not the current version; also: i'm
not sure if this really is related, but the log outputs are strikingly
similar).

My debugging[5] didn't reveal anything further than what's already in
the logs. So i'm CC-ing bug-mes mailing list, since that's probably
the most adequate place to discuss this issue :)

g

[0] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48595
[1] https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/286577/details
[2] https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/82814/details
[3] https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/82812/details
[4] mescc-tools/test/test1/hello.sh:26
[5] ./test/results/test1-binary --> segfault