Subject: Re: bug#48579: 28.0.50; Spawning an emacs process using call-process results in inconsistent, behavior between GNU/Linux and macOS

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 15:13:03 +0200

On 5/22/21 3:04 PM, Alan Third wrote:
> On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 02:54:26PM +0200, Daniel Mendler wrote:
>> But this discussion here seems to be a bit off-track. My point here is
>> that the current working directory determination on MacOS uses a
>> heuristic, which is not correct. It incorrectly determines that Emacs
>> has been launched from the finder or some other Mac GUI application and
>> therefore changes the directory to the home directory. If Emacs is
>> indeed started from the GUI, this makes all sense. But this is not the
>> case here. The TTY heuristic, that Alan described, is insufficient.
> 
> I can't find any other way, and we had multiple complaints when the
> behaviour was broken whereas this is the first complaint in the other
> direction that I've seen.
> 
> If you find an alternative, please let us know.

As I wrote, if "--batch" opts out of this, I am happy. I should have
used "--batch" right away in my program. Since this is what I am doing -
I am starting a batch background worker job. I just wasn't aware of the
opt-out. Hopefully the batch setting does not have other unexpected side
effects.