Subject: Re: bug#48579: 28.0.50; Spawning an emacs process using call-process results in inconsistent, behavior between GNU/Linux and macOS

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 15:29:08 +0300

> From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 14:14:53 +0200
> 
> > If you want Emacs on macOS to work like a Unix command line app, then
> > build it as a Unix command line app, not a macOS GUI app.
> 
> I am not talking about GUI vs terminal, the problem here is if Emacs is
> started from a script. Would it be possible to adjust the directory
> changing behavior, for example if Emacs is started with the arguments
> `--daemon`, `--batch` or `--script`? Is there another way to detect if
> the finder launched Emacs, such that only in that case the directory
> changing to the home directory takes place?

That won't help.  The initial directory in which Emacs starts can be
controlled that way, but that's not what you will see in some random
buffer's default-directory.  It is completely OK for Emacs to change
its cwd, as far as the OS is concerned, after it was started, because
that directory doesn't affect how Emacs works.