Subject: Re: bug#48579: 28.0.50; Spawning an emacs process using call-process results in inconsistent, behavior between GNU/Linux and macOS

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 14:14:53 +0200

On 5/22/21 2:06 PM, Alan Third wrote:
> On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 01:44:27PM +0200, Daniel Mendler wrote:
>> Both GNU/Linux and macOS are Unixes, it is expected that Emacs behaves
>> in the same way on both platforms with regards to handling the current
>> directory. When Emacs is started via the command line or via forking
>> from another process, Emacs should inherit the default directory from
>> the parent process. If Emacs is started via some special finder or
>> desktop application, the default directory of that finder application is
>> taken. This is all predictable and expected.
> 
> If you want Emacs on macOS to work like a Unix command line app, then
> build it as a Unix command line app, not a macOS GUI app.

I am not talking about GUI vs terminal, the problem here is if Emacs is
started from a script. Would it be possible to adjust the directory
changing behavior, for example if Emacs is started with the arguments
`--daemon`, `--batch` or `--script`? Is there another way to detect if
the finder launched Emacs, such that only in that case the directory
changing to the home directory takes place?

Daniel