Subject: bug#48578: closed (Re: bug#48578: 28.0.50; Native-compiled files of some preloaded files not loaded at dump time)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 08:58:01 +0000

Your bug report

#48578: 28.0.50; Native-compiled files of some preloaded files not loaded at dump time

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
48578: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=48578
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#48578: 28.0.50; Native-compiled files of some preloaded files not loaded at dump time
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 11:57:17 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 07:02:45 +0000
> 
> > Thanks, I installed a fix along these lines, please review and
> > comment.
> 
> Hi Eli,
> 
> it looks good to me.
> 
> Thanks for fixing this.

Great, so I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 28.0.50; Native-compiled files of some preloaded files not loaded at dump time
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 10:20:33 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Something strange is going on on this GNU/Linux system, unlike other
systems where I build Emacs with native-compilation: when dumping,
some of the preloaded files seem to be loaded in their byte-compiled
form, not native-compiled form.  The files are the ones loaded at the
very beginning of 'loadup':

  Loading emacs-lisp/byte-run...
  Loading emacs-lisp/backquote...
  Loading subr...
  Loading version...
  Loading widget...
  Loading custom...
  Loading emacs-lisp/map-ynp...
  Loading international/mule...
  Loading international/mule-conf...
  Loading env...
  Loading format...
  Loading bindings...
  Loading window...
  Loading files...

All the preloaded files after these ones are loaded as native-compiled
Lisp, as expected.

I forced native compilation of the offending files, and verified the
corresponding *.eln files are refreshed in the native-lisp directory,
but the problem persists.

Why does this happen, and how do I fix it?

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30, cairo version 1.15.10)
 of 2021-05-22 built on fencepost.gnu.org
Repository revision: a3de48687eb28121f3dbfc20be19bd06c4cd6e98
Repository branch: master
System Description: Trisquel GNU/Linux Etiona (9.0)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no --with-jpeg=no
 --with-xpm=ifavailable --with-modules --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 --with-native-compilation 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ LIBOTF
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils comp
comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra help-mode seq
cl-loaddefs cl-lib term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cconv iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 80499 8044)
 (symbols 48 7882 1)
 (strings 32 21664 3880)
 (string-bytes 1 739515)
 (vectors 16 14774)
 (vector-slots 8 245438 10812)
 (floats 8 29 316)
 (intervals 56 200 0)
 (buffers 992 11))