Subject: bug#48545: 28.0.50; `icomplete-vertical-mode` does not support the `group-function`

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 16:44:09 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't think I'm obligated to support every trivial suggestion with a
> patch and a benchmark.

Of course you're not obliged to, but the fact that you won't code up
your own "trivial suggestion" is eloquent.

> Or explain, from various POVs, why removing the sorting step "because
> it's expensive" is faulty reasoning.

Could be, if it _were_ the reasoning.  But it's not, as is quite easy to
read here.

> Or why the grouping approach in icomplete mode should match what the
> default UI does and what other completion UIs (from which the grouping
> feature was extracted) do as well.

The sorting in the default completion UI is already discrepant to
completions-all-sorted-completions, regardless of grouping.  It's also
quite slow, as reported.  I doubt we want Icomplete to "match" that (not
to mention the fact that Icomplete is a different type of UI).

> Whatever, do what you like. I'm out of this thread.

I've pushed ba852512f23fdab674086e35d4207e3970dd0912 to fix the
described bugs and wrap this up.  Left a TODO in minibuffer.el for
anyone to experiment with "trivial suggestions" (or complex ones at
that).

João