Subject: Re: bug#48545: 28.0.50; `icomplete-vertical-mode` does not support the `group-function`

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 16:52:02 +0300

On 21.08.2021 15:42, João Távora wrote:
> Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>  writes:
> 
>> On 21.08.2021 12:40, João Távora wrote:
>>> Yes, I think you see what you mean.  But I also imagine it would be
>>> terrifyingly confusing for a user of a scrolling dropdown to see
>>> candidates jump back and forth into their groups as the user scrolls
>>> down to see a new candidate and hide another.  If what I imagine isn't
>>> what you mean, maybe you could code something up and show what you mean.
>> I suppose yes, if you only group candidates that are visible on the
>> screen, it could lead to jumping. Good point. Then I would suggest to
>> go back to "global" grouping.
> Then do.  Go back to that experiment and its drawbacks and actually
> prototype it the way you envision it.  Then share results here.

I don't think I'm obligated to support every trivial suggestion with a 
patch and a benchmark.

Or explain, from various POVs, why removing the sorting step "because 
it's expensive" is faulty reasoning.

Or why the grouping approach in icomplete mode should match what the 
default UI does and what other completion UIs (from which the grouping 
feature was extracted) do as well.

Whatever, do what you like. I'm out of this thread.