Subject: bug#48545: 28.0.50; `icomplete-vertical-mode` does not support the `group-function`

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 14:38:29 +0200

João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:

> To fix this, perhaps the default sorting methods should be turned off in
> completion-all-sorted-completions in minibuffer.el if a table supplies
> `group-function`.  A patch for this is after my sig.

FWIW (I didn't take the time to understand the ins and outs of the
completion system nor the changes that are being made; sorry about
that), with this tentative patch, Icomplete seems to honour
read-char-by-name-sort.  With icomplete enabled and
read-char-by-name-sort set to 'code, try

    C-x 8 RET CLOCK FACE

- with the current master branch, the completions are sorted
  alphabetically,
- with the tentative patch applied, the completions are sorted by code
  point.

This seems to compose well with completions-group AFAICT (see e.g. C-x 8
RET ROMAN).

At any rate, thanks for teaching icomplete-vertical about
group-function!