Subject: Re: bug#48543: Feature request: put ELN cache in $XDG_CACHE_HOME by default

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 14:08:56 +0200

Clément Pit-Claudel <[email-masked]> writes:

> By default the eln cache is stored in .emacs.d/eln-cache.  Would it
> make sense to store it in $XDG_CACHE_HOME/emacs/eln by default on
> platforms that obey the XDG spec?

I think that makes sense.  Perhaps Andrea has some comments; added to
the CCs.

> And Eli Zaretskii responded:
>
>> I don't think so, personally: the XDG spec says the XDG cache
>> directory should hold "user-specific non-essential (cached) data
>> files". The *.eln files don't fit that description: the user would
>> like the files to persist.
>>
>> That said, feel free to submit a feature-request bug report about
>> this, and let's see what others think about this.
>
> FWIW, I had a quick look through my .cache folder, and it seems that
> chromium and Firefox both put compiled code in that folder (JS
> bytecode and compiled Webassembly files).

Since the .eln files are cached data, it seems like the right place to
put them.  Of course the user would like all (non-stale) cached data to
persist.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no