Subject: Re: bug#48504: Improve style of C-h t description (Preface)

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 05:07:09 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> No, I mean to change this:
>>     (which is ``control h and then t'')
>> into this:
>>     (hold down @key{Control} and type @kbd{h}, then let go of
>>     @key{Control} and type @kbd{t})
>
> That's awkward.  How about
>
>   To run the tutorial, start Emacs and type @kbd{C-h t} (that is,
>   press and hold Control, then type h, then release Control and type
>   t).

All users already know the notation Ctrl+X if they have ever used a
computer.  We can safely assume this most basic level of computer
literacy.

So this is better written as:

>   To run the tutorial, start Emacs and type @kbd{C-h t} (that is,
>   @kbd{Ctrl+H}, then @kbd{T}).

(There is no confusion here with regards to @kbd{T} and @kbd{t}, because
everywhere else our "T" is written as "Shift+T".)