Subject: bug#48504: Improve style of C-h t description (Preface)

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 08:21:01 +0200

>>> How about
>>>
>>>   To run the tutorial, start Emacs and type @kbd{C-h t} (that is,
>>>   press and hold Control, then type h, then release Control and type
>>>   t).
>>
>> Why @kbd/@key (commands for indication) can't be used here for
>> "Control"/"h"/"t"?
>
> Because we didn't yet explain this notation, that comes later in the
> manual.

This is becoming a surprisingly confusing issue...

So, we can't present keys or other KBD input with @key/@kbd style,
because of the notation, that e.g. makes keys like Control use @key
style, which is introduced later? Until that section - "(emacs) User
Input" perhaps - we can only write "Control"/"h"/"t" just like an
ordinary text? BTW, isn't @kbd{C-h t}, in the same sentence, and
@kbd{h}, in the same file (EMACS.TEXI - L128), against this rule as
well?

What is to explain at all? The fact that - e.g. in PDF - @kbd/@key
change font from Roman to Typewriter. It helps to distinguish the
input keys/chars from the rest of the paragraph. In your example "h"
and "t" may look like leftovers from a partially removed words...
which is something I want to avoid.