Subject: Re: bug#48476: Bug#988581: emacs-gtk: Emacs hangs with 100% cpu if started within a current directory that has a name ending with ".tar"

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 09:44:45 +0200

>>>>> On Wed, 19 May 2021 16:22:10 +0200, Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> said:

    Michael> Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:
    Michael> Hi,

    >>> Michael, this is emacs signalling an error for a recursive load,
    >>> apparently forever.
    >> 
    >> Ahh, thanks. This gives me some ideas for check.

    Michael> The appended patch should fix it. It is towards the emacs-27
    Michael> branch. Although there won't be a Tramp 27.3 in the future, Debian (and
    Michael> other distributions) might patch its distributed Emacs 27.2.

emacs-27 is still looping with that patch:

openat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/rpluim/repos/emacs-27/lisp/net/tramp-archive.elc", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 14
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/rpluim/repos/emacs-27/lisp/net/tramp-archive.elc", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 15
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/rpluim/repos/emacs-27/lisp/net/tramp-archive.elc", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 16
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/rpluim/repos/emacs-27/lisp/net/tramp-archive.elc", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 17
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/rpluim/repos/emacs-27/lisp/net/tramp-archive.elc", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 18
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/rpluim/repos/emacs-27/lisp/net/tramp-archive.elc", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 14

Iʼve not trapped it reliably in gdb yet. master is the same

Robert
--