Subject: bug#48476: Bug#988581: emacs-gtk: Emacs hangs with 100% cpu if started within a current directory that has a name ending with ".tar"

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 17:51:45 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Lars,

>>> My emacs get stuck with 100% cpu when started from a directory ending with
>>> ".tar".

Sure, this is the Tramp archive handler. But it shall be invoked only
when the file name ends with ".tar/" - see the trailing slash.

>>> For example, the following commands trigger the error:
>>> - mkdir test.tar
>>> - cd test.tar
>>> - emacs

Yes. But is this a real scenario?

> I have not tried to debug further, but this strace seems to indicate
> that this might be Tramp-related, so I've added Michael to the CCs --
> perhaps it'll be immediately obvious to him what the problem is.  :-)

Hmm, Tramp shall return with an error message (possibly) or give
up. Will investigate.

Anyway, setting tramp-archive-enabled to nil should mitigate the
problem.

Best regards, Michael.