Subject: bug#48472: [FR] A small suggestion for repeat-mode

From: Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 17:05:52 -0300

Hi All,

I've just taken notice of the recently introduced `repeat-mode', in 
`repeat.el', and welcome it.

I haven't yet tried it out, since I'm running on 27.2, but I understand 
what it does, and how.  I'll definitely use it when Emacs 28 comes, 
since I have some commands for which I use current `repeat.el' 
functionality to do something equivalent in my setup, and the new mode 
makes this much more convenient, so thank you (Juri) for adding it.

But I write to give one small suggestion to the mode.  Namely that an 
option be added to make the transient keymap expire after a 
(configurable) timeout.  The idea is that the repeating last key press 
is very handy indeed, but if you happen to stop at a repeatable key, 
stop some "idle" time (thinking, reading, whatever) and then hit the key 
again, it might not be what was actually meant.  In other words, besides 
`repeat-exit-key', some idle time after the last repeatable key may 
serve as a good indicator for breaking the repetition chain.

As far as I can see, this should not be particularly complicated, since 
`set-transient-map' returns an "exit function" which could be stored and 
ran on a timer, as appropriate.  And, of course, it can be optional.

Thanks again for the useful addition.  I'm looking forward to using it 
already.

Best regards,
Gustavo.