Subject: bug#48471: 28.0.50; Incorrect handling of `project-ignores' on macOS (BSD find?) if project root is a directory name

From: Philipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 22:05:21 +0200

The following happens at least on macOS with its BSD find.  It does
*not* happen with GNU find.

Create an empty directory /tmp/foo and files bar and baz in that
directory.  Then, define a trivial project:

(cl-defmethod project-roots ((_ (eql foo))) '("/tmp/foo/"))
(cl-defmethod project-ignores ((_ (eql foo)) _) '("./bar"))

The important point here is that the project root is a directory name,
not a directory file name.

Now, with macOS find:

(project-files 'foo)
=> ("/tmp/foo//bar" "/tmp/foo//baz")

Note how the `project-ignores' result has been ignored.  The problem is
that macOS find doesn't normalize the directory name in any way:

/tmp/foo$ find /tmp/foo/
/tmp/foo/
/tmp/foo//baz
/tmp/foo//bar

/tmp/foo$ find /tmp/foo/ '(' -path /tmp/foo/bar -prune ')' -o -print
/tmp/foo/
/tmp/foo//baz
/tmp/foo//bar

/tmp/foo$ find /tmp/foo/ '(' -path /tmp/foo//bar -prune ')' -o -print
/tmp/foo/
/tmp/foo//baz

XRef will generate a prune pattern like /tmp/foo/bar, and find will
ignore it because it doesn't exactly match the filenames.

To work around this, XRef should probably only pass directory file names
to find, not directory names, at least on macOS.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 119, aarch64-apple-darwin20.4.0, NS appkit-2022.44 Version 11.3.1 (Build 20E241))
 of 2021-05-16
Repository revision: 0212fb180a118795b4de383cc712e7079c998cef
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2022
System Description:  macOS 11.3.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-xml2 --without-pop --with-mailutils
 --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only --enable-checking=all
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0''

Configured features:
ACL GNUTLS JSON LCMS2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG THREADS
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc dired dired-loaddefs rfc822
mml mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs time-date
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils phst skeleton derived edmacro kmacro pcase ffap thingatpt url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars mailcap rx
gnutls puny dbus xml subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
compile text-property-search comint ansi-color ring cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 70856 6582)
 (symbols 48 8362 1)
 (strings 32 24246 2104)
 (string-bytes 1 792999)
 (vectors 16 16049)
 (vector-slots 8 212521 6692)
 (floats 8 26 28)
 (intervals 56 220 0)
 (buffers 992 10))