Subject: bug#48468: substitute server connection timeout

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 11:55:52 +0100

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> skribis:

[...]

>> curl https://ci.guix.gnu.org/lwv2pl0m6dkf6bkzip755w5p71g5akq4.narinfo
>> We're baking it: /lwv2pl0m6dkf6bkzip755w5p71g5akq4.narinfo
>
> Yes, but derivations (.drv) are depend only on “sources” (like
> *-guile-builder, *.patch, *.scm) and on other derivations, all of which
> are typically less than 1 MiB.
>
> Derivations don’t depend on derivation outputs like that of qemu-minimal
> above.
>
>> So any build that requires a heavy substitute, heavier than the cache
>> bypass threshold at least, will fail on the workers, as it would fail
>> locally.
>
> The main ‘guix publish’ instance on berlin has cache-bypass-threshold
> set to 100 MiB; I don’t think we have any source or .drv that is this
> big, or even a tenth of it.  :-)

On closer inspection, we do get bigger sources for those system test
derivations:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ du  $(guix gc -R /gnu/store/2laznragkfjf0jn6n7b8c53vgmb8maqp-installed-extlinux-os.drv ) |sort -k1 -n |tail
6304	/gnu/store/mvvf60w8p0lx8vlixryb1a1gfib401rf-guix-b129026/gnu/packages
6956	/gnu/store/9cs4i3hygldsan8ahf0p7x5kgzmqz9gr-guix-packages-base-source/gnu/packages/patches
7000	/gnu/store/mvvf60w8p0lx8vlixryb1a1gfib401rf-guix-b129026/gnu
7716	/gnu/store/z0gc56x1w83wn0pi4mz8nhyjdr0d10fs-guix
12352	/gnu/store/mvvf60w8p0lx8vlixryb1a1gfib401rf-guix-b129026
22548	/gnu/store/ky96vygv1hpa8iz6677qz96binbz201h-packages
22684	/gnu/store/rrg9ki4bdjffvmgapjcqwjwjwkhb0qhl-doc
39516	/gnu/store/9cs4i3hygldsan8ahf0p7x5kgzmqz9gr-guix-packages-base-source/gnu/packages
39524	/gnu/store/9cs4i3hygldsan8ahf0p7x5kgzmqz9gr-guix-packages-base-source/gnu
39528	/gnu/store/9cs4i3hygldsan8ahf0p7x5kgzmqz9gr-guix-packages-base-source
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The items at the bottom weigh around 40 MiB.

That’s still below the 100 MiB cache bypass threshold of the main ‘guix
publish’ instance though.

Ludo’.