Subject: bug#48452: 28.0.50; flymake for elisp does not respect `load-path`

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 18:16:41 +0100

Max Brieiev <[email-masked]> writes:

> João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I think we have to ask ourselves: what is Flymake used for?  The most
>> useful answers will come from the people who actually use it, though
>> potential uses are also interesting.
>
> For a regular user like me, the most obvious use cases are:
>
> 1. Utilities for my own use. This can be sloppy code, heavily dependent
> on my current Emacs setup. But it works, or at least it can be required
> into init.el. So it is counter-intuitive, when flymake displays the
> error, but running `restart-emacs' reveals no errors.

Another way to see this is elisp-flymake-byte-compile is rooting for
less sloppy code :-), i.e. code that you can share with me.

> 2. If I would decide to distribute my code through (M)ELPA, this is
> where I'd like flymake to be more finicky: probably compile my code only
> against standard load-path _and_ dependencies (packages listed in
> "Package-Requires" header section).

... and if your hypothetical.el package comes more than one file, say
hypothetical-tests.el or hypothetical-utils.el which require each other,
you'd probably also like "./" to be in the load-path for
elisp-flymake-byte-compile.

João