Subject: bug#48452: 28.0.50; flymake for elisp does not respect `load-path`

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 21:52:00 +0200

João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:

> Right.  Adding anything to the load path is "dangerous".  The default
> "./" is a good compromise, as it enables developing packages with
> multiple .el files that require each other in the same dir, which is a
> very common thing IME.

I'm not sure that's a good compromise at all -- the user has surely set
up the correct load path to use, and overriding that with "./" sounds
like a recipe for disaster.

> Here's a very minimally tested patch:

[...]

> +(defcustom elisp-flymake-byte-compile-use-elpa-dirs nil
> +  "If non-nil, add ELPA package dirs to elisp Flymake load path."
> +  :type 'boolean
> +  :group 'lisp)

I think it would make more sense to have an option to use the load path
from the current Emacs incantation also in the flymake Emacsen.  But
that would probably be more difficult to achieve, as you have to somehow
convey that to the flymake Emacsen (and the load path can be very long,
so it's probably problematic to have that on the command line).

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no