Subject: 28.0.50; Support for the Alacritty terminal emulator

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 13:07:59 +0200

I use the Alacritty terminal emulator [1].  I've noticed that with
"emacs -nw" or "emacsclient -t" my terminal emacs was just white on
black, no colors at all.  It seems it's because emacs doesn't know how
to handle TERM=alacritty which Alacritty sets if the terminfo database
knows it, otherwise it'll set TERM=xterm-256color.

So I can either set TERM=xterm-256color in my Alacritty config or use
the following patch to alias alacritty to xterm in Emacs.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
lisp/faces.el | 2 +-

modified   lisp/faces.el
@@ -46,7 +46,7 @@ term-file-aliases
     ("vt320" . "vt200")
     ("vt400" . "vt200")
     ("vt420" . "vt200")
-    )
+    ("alacritty" . "xterm"))
   "Alist of terminal type aliases.
 Entries are of the form (TYPE . ALIAS), where both elements are strings.
 This means to treat a terminal of type TYPE as if it were of type ALIAS."
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

IMHO, it would make sense to have that alias is place at least until
someone comes up with "proper" support for Alacritty.

[1] https://github.com/alacritty/alacritty

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.29, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-05-15 built on thinkpad-t440p
Repository revision: 248ec838aa8b1a720a05b422be760f6ab32aa630
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101001
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: mu4e:main

Minor modes in effect:
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  diredfl-global-mode: t
  dynamic-completion-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  company-posframe-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  aggressive-completion-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  overwrite-mode: overwrite-mode-binary

Load-path shadows:
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-main hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-main
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-org hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-org
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-lists hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-lists
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-actions hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-actions
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-utils hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-utils
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-context hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-context
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-draft hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-draft
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-message hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-message
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-compose hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-compose
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view-common hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view-common
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view-old hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view-old
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view-gnus hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view-gnus
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-headers hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-headers
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-mark hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-mark
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-icalendar hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-icalendar
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-contrib hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-contrib
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-proc hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-proc
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-meta hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-meta
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-vars hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-vars
/home/horn/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20210427.833/transient hides /home/horn/Repos/el/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow emacsbug rdictcc face-remap sort gnus-cite mail-extr qp misearch
multi-isearch tabify man two-column dired-aux term/xterm xterm
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator
xref project company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb paredit vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs
vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs display-fill-column-indicator auto-package-update
finder-inf generic yaml-mode fish-mode cargo cargo-process rust-utils
rust-mode rust-rustfmt rust-playpen rust-compile compile rust-cargo
web-mode disp-table preview-latex auto-loads tex-site deadgrep spinner
hl-todo aggressive-indent rainbow-mode vc-git vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher epa-file diredfl dired-x mu4e-alert time ht s
mu4e-icalendar gnus-icalendar org-capture org-refile icalendar diary-lib
diary-loaddefs mu4e mu4e-org mu4e-main mu4e-view mu4e-view-gnus
mu4e-view-common mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-context mu4e-draft
mu4e-actions ido rfc2368 mu4e-mark mu4e-proc mu4e-utils doc-view
jka-compr image-mode exif mu4e-lists mu4e-message flow-fill org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs mule-util hl-line
mu4e-vars mu4e-meta smtpmail-multi smtpmail sendmail ecomplete
completion auto-dictionary flyspell ispell tramp-smb which-key
highlight-parentheses company-restclient know-your-http-well
http-status-codes http-relations http-methods http-headers restclient
company-posframe posframe company pcase yasnippet forge-list
forge-commands forge-semi forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs gogs
forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab forge-github ghub-graphql treepy
gsexp ghub let-alist gnutls forge-notify forge-revnote forge-pullreq
forge-issue forge-topic forge-post markdown-mode color thingatpt
noutline outline forge-repo forge forge-core forge-db closql
emacsql-sqlite advice emacsql emacsql-compiler magit-submodule
magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect
magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff
smerge-mode diff diff-mode git-commit log-edit pcvs-util add-log
magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor server magit-mode transient
comp comp-cstr magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm dash
visual-filename-abbrev debbugs soap-client url-http url-auth url-gw nsm
warnings rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp bug-reference
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode vertico aggressive-completion
icomplete mb-depth use-package-diminish windmove alert log4e
notifications gntp rx tramp-cache tramp-sh recentf tree-widget
pixel-scroll saveplace savehist paren smiley gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc
puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus wid-edit nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums text-property-search mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils edmacro kmacro dracula-theme diminish cl-extra
help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec info
package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 681281 76354)
 (symbols 48 45763 1)
 (strings 32 204732 4394)
 (string-bytes 1 6546275)
 (vectors 16 82007)
 (vector-slots 8 1447727 47986)
 (floats 8 612 476)
 (intervals 56 2289 0)
 (buffers 992 23))