Subject: bug#48439: 28.0.50; Support for the Alacritty terminal emulator

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 22:40:15 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> OK, thanks.  Then I guess Alacritty is indeed close enough to
> xterm-256color.

Since it's close enough, I've now applied Tassilo's patch.

> The only question I have is: does Alacritty offer any
> capabilities that are not in xterm-256color?  Because if it does, then
> adding it to the list of aliases will prevent users from taking
> advantage of those additional capabilities, because AFAIU we use the
> alias without checking first whether the original terminal name has a
> library.  So if Alacritty has important additional features, it might
> be better to prepare a separate alacritty.el file, using xterm.el as a
> starting point (or even 'require'ing it).

That's true -- but I guess we'll just have to wait and see whether
there's any request for supporting these additional features (if any).
If there is, removing the alias is easy enough.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no