Subject: Re: bug#48439: 28.0.50; Support for the Alacritty terminal emulator

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 16:18:02 +0300

> From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 13:55:13 +0200
> 
> > Is Alacritty really similar to 256-color xterm?  What are the
> > differences?
> 
> I don't know but given that it gives out itself as xterm-256color if
> terminfo doesn't know it suggests it is similar enough.

The question is how close.  If it is 90% close, then using the alias
makes sense.  But if it has enough unique features, then using an
alias will rob users of those features for no good reason.

> > Do you know where I can find the terminfo database for Alacritty?
> 
> I've attached an archive of the 3 alacritty files in my
> /usr/share/terminfo/a/ directory if that's what you were looking for.

Thanks, but these files are not recognized by 'infocmp', which I tried
to use to decompile them (assuming they were terminfo files compiled
by 'tic').

Maybe someone else will be able to tell the differences between
alacritty and xterm256color.