Subject: bug in "gzip -lv gzip-file"

From: Robert Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 20:01:21 +0200

Hello,

gzip (at least my version, v1.10 running on Fedora 33) apparently uses an
unsigned 32-bit value when displaying the uncompressed size of a gzipped file.

This demonstrates the problem:

Create a 5GiB test file:

    $ fallocate -l $((5*1024*1024*1024)) fatfile

Compress it:

    $ gzip -c fatfile > fatfile.gz

List the contents:

    $ gzip -lv fatfile.gz
    method  crc     date  time           compressed        uncompressed  ratio
    uncompressed_name
    defla 193838c3 May 14 19:53             5857306          1073741824  99.5%
    fatfile

As you can see, the value in the "uncompressed" column is exactly 1GiB.

Regards,
Robert Urban

Please cc me in replies, as I'm not a subscriber of the list