Subject: bug#4841: closed (Re: bug#4841: 23.1.50; tramp su/sudo makes vc-dir hang with viper)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 16:16:02 +0000

Your bug report

#4841: 23.1.50; tramp su/sudo makes vc-dir hang with viper

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
4841: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4841
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#4841: 23.1.50; tramp su/sudo makes vc-dir hang with viper
From: Stefano Zacchiroli <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 11:23:03 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I confirm it's fixed, thanks for checking in!

On Wed, Feb 09, 2022 at 10:33:32AM +0100, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Stefano Zacchiroli <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > With "emacs -Q" it works properly.
> >
> > As my main customization is using viper mode, I've also tried enabling
> > it just after "emacs -Q" and bingo, it stops working. Looks like the bug
> > is Viper-related :-(
> 
> (I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
> at the time.)
> 
> Are you still seeing this issue in recent Emacs versions?  If so, can
> you post a recipe to reproduce the problem, starting from "emacs -Q"?
> 
> -- 
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>    bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no
> 

-- 
Stefano Zacchiroli . [email-masked] . upsilon.cc/zack          _. ^ ._
Full professor of Computer Science              o     o   o     \/|V|\/   
Télécom Paris, Polytechnic Institute of Paris     o     o o    </>   <\>
Co-founder & CTO Software Heritage            o o o     o       /\|^|/\
Former Debian Project Leader & OSI Board Director               '" V "'

Subject: 23.1.50; tramp su/sudo makes vc-dir hang (found remote shell ...)
From: Stefano Zacchiroli <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 15:54:32 +0100

To edit system configuration files, I'd like to use tramp's su:: or
sudo::. What blocks me to do that is that I have versioned /etc (with
etckeepr over Git) and I need to commit the performed changes
afterwards.

When not inside su::/sudo:: I often commit stuff in Git repositories
using vc-mode. That unfortunately does not work under tramp's
su::/sudo::. Trying to do that results in vc-dir hanging forever just
after the "found remote shell on ..." message and the correspondent
"waiting" message in the vc buffer if I stop Emacs with C-g.

Many thanks in advance,
Cheers

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
 of 2009-10-23 on elegiac, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 1:20091023-1)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10605000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--host' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g -Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: it_IT.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<return> <return> C-x k <return> C-x o C-x 4 0 M-x 
r e p o <tab> r t - e m <tab> <return> t r a m p SPC 
+ S-SPC s u / s u d o SPC m a k e SPC v s - s t a t 
u s SPC C-g C-h k C-x v d C-x 1 M-x <up> <return>

Recent messages:
Tramp: Waiting 60s for local shell to come up...
Tramp: Sending command `su - root && exit || exit'
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
Tramp: Sending Password
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `usha.takhisis.invalid'
Quit
Making completion list...
Quit
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
goto-history-element: Beginning of history; no preceding item

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-ghci hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-ghci
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-doc hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-doc
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-simple-indent hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-simple-indent
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-c hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-c
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-hugs hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-hugs
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-cabal hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-cabal
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-decl-scan hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-decl-scan
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/inf-haskell hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/inf-haskell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-indent hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-indent
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-font-lock hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-font-lock
/usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides /usr/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/textmodes/rst

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug help-mode view org-wl org-w3m org-vm
org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp
org-exp-blocks org-agenda org-info org-gnus org-bibtex org-bbdb vc-git
vc-bzr vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs tramp-imap epa epg epg-config
imap-hash imap message sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp
ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit
mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils assoc tramp-gw
tramp-fish tramp-smb tramp-cache tramp-ftp tramp-cmds tramp auth-source
gnus-util netrc shell comint password-cache format-spec tramp-compat
trampver vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher org-protocol remember org-remember
org byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile org-footnote org-src org-list
org-faces org-compat org-macs time-date noutline outline easy-mmode
regexp-opt post easymenu derived cl cl-19 rect-mark server windmove
winner ido paren cus-start cus-load viper edmacro kmacro viper-ex
viper-macs viper-mous viper-cmd viper-keym ring viper-util viper-init
advice help-fns advice-preload debian-el debian-el-loaddefs
emacs-goodies-el emacs-goodies-custom emacs-goodies-loaddefs dpkg-dev-el
dpkg-dev-el-loaddefs tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Stefano Zacchiroli -o- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
zack@{upsilon.cc,pps.jussieu.fr,debian.org} -<>- http://upsilon.cc/zack/
Dietro un grande uomo c'è ..|  .  |. Et ne m'en veux pas si je te tutoie
sempre uno zaino ...........| ..: |.... Je dis tu à tous ceux que j'aime