Subject: Re: bug#4841: 23.1.50; tramp su/sudo makes vc-dir hang (found remote shell ...)

From: Stefano Zacchiroli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 16:29:34 +0100

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 02:10:07PM +0100, Michael Albinus wrote:
> What I'm curious about is, why your commands are preceeded by
> "exec". I've checked Emacs 23.1.50; git commands are executed without
> "exec" in Tramp. Maybe you have an outdated vc-git.el in the way?

The only vc-git.el I've found on my machine is the one shipped with
Emacs 23.1.50 (it's coming from the emacs-snapshot Debian package, the
maintainer is Cc-ed).

> Could you, please, start "emacs -Q" and see, whether it works better?

With "emacs -Q" it works properly.

As my main customization is using viper mode, I've also tried enabling
it just after "emacs -Q" and bingo, it stops working. Looks like the bug
is Viper-related :-(

Cheers.

-- 
Stefano Zacchiroli -o- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
zack@{upsilon.cc,pps.jussieu.fr,debian.org} -<>- http://upsilon.cc/zack/
Dietro un grande uomo c'è ..|  .  |. Et ne m'en veux pas si je te tutoie
sempre uno zaino ...........| ..: |.... Je dis tu à tous ceux que j'aime