Subject: bug#4841: 23.1.50; tramp su/sudo makes vc-dir hang (found remote shell ...)

From: Stefano Zacchiroli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 23:05:20 +0100

On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 07:44:14PM +0100, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Looks to me like vc-git is waiting for a password, or something like
> this. Could you, please, check the *tramp ...* buffer, whether you see a
> corresponding message?

I've checked the *tramp ...* buffer and I found it empty.

> If there is nothing obvious, you might set `tramp-verbose' to 8, and
> rerun the test. The corresponding debug buffer of Tramp shall tell us
> what happened.

... so I've tried this, the *tramp ...* buffer was still empty, but the
*debug tramp ...* was not. I'm attaching its content, gzipped since it
is 160 Kb (yes, I've cleaned it up just before doing the test, but still
... :-).

AFAICT, in that log I see the password being delivered to su (I did the
test with the "/su::" prefix), luckily not reported in the log, and I
also see the prompt of a root shell clearly returned to tramp, so I
don't think the issue is the "waiting for a password". Rather, it looks
like that in the vc <-> tramp dialog someone fails to recognize that the
login has been properly done.

Thanks for your feedback,
Cheers.

-- 
Stefano Zacchiroli -o- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
zack@{upsilon.cc,pps.jussieu.fr,debian.org} -<>- http://upsilon.cc/zack/
Dietro un grande uomo c'è ..|  .  |. Et ne m'en veux pas si je te tutoie
sempre uno zaino ...........| ..: |.... Je dis tu à tous ceux que j'aime