Subject: Re: bug#4841: 23.1.50; tramp su/sudo makes vc-dir hang (found remote shell ...)

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 19:44:14 +0100

Stefano Zacchiroli <[email-masked]> writes:

> To edit system configuration files, I'd like to use tramp's su:: or
> sudo::. What blocks me to do that is that I have versioned /etc (with
> etckeepr over Git) and I need to commit the performed changes
> afterwards.
>
> When not inside su::/sudo:: I often commit stuff in Git repositories
> using vc-mode. That unfortunately does not work under tramp's
> su::/sudo::. Trying to do that results in vc-dir hanging forever just
> after the "found remote shell on ..." message and the correspondent
> "waiting" message in the vc buffer if I stop Emacs with C-g.

Looks to me like vc-git is waiting for a password, or something like
this. Could you, please, check the *tramp ...* buffer, whether you see a
corresponding message?

If there is nothing obvious, you might set `tramp-verbose' to 8, and
rerun the test. The corresponding debug buffer of Tramp shall tell us
what happened.

> Many thanks in advance,
> Cheers

Best regards, Michael.