Subject: Re: bug#48406: 28.0.50; Emacs stuck in infinite loop in wait_reading_process_output when opening in fullscreen (NS)

From: Andrii Kolomoiets <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 23:09:39 +0300

Alan Third <[email-masked]> writes:

> You know, I'm probably being stupid, but I can't for the life of me
> remember why we need to wait for the fullscreen transition to
> complete. I *thought* it was because we had a crash if we didn't, but
> if I remove the wait it all works just fine...

Same here.  The code snippets provided in Bug#28496 and Bug#36672 are
works fine.

> It could be that it's pure chance I'm not seeing any problems, or that
> some other fix has fixed the crash,

Yes, the NS port certainly made a good progress, thank you :)

> or that the older drawing scheme used before 10.14 has a problem and
> the new one doesn't... Or something else. Do you have any idea?

This is the only example that comes to my mind for now:

(progn
  (toggle-frame-fullscreen)
  (toggle-frame-fullscreen))

Though code like this is not widely used (hope so), it's still some kind
of unexpected behavior.

> I *do* remember that there was a pause required for the non-native
> fullscreen due to a crash, and I don't think that will have changed,
> except that I don't think I've heard from anyone still using 10.6 for
> a couple of years now.

Well, we can pause for the non-native fullscreen users.

-- 
Andrii