Subject: Re: bug#48404: 28.0.50; "Invalid version syntax" errors with read-extended-command

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 16:20:25 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> What do you mean by "first"?  We already support the likes of
> "28.3 Beta3", and "Beta3" is not ignored there as some free-text
> comment.

For this purpose, it doesn't matter -- we're only interested in the
major version.  But if you want to expand the language in a more regular
way, then a different separating character (between the part we parse
and the one that's free text) can be used, of course.  Semicolon?

> And that is assuming the developers of 3rd-party packages can have
> some reasonable way of associating their versions with Emacs versions,
> which I still think is a problem with no solution.

They don't really need to.  They decide "we think people with Emacs 25
shouldn't have this in their M-x TAX" and then put "26.1;Magit/1.2" in
the string.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no