Subject: 28.0.50; "Invalid version syntax" errors with read-extended-command

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 22:45:01 +0200

Since commit 1af91d271e077134e272055407fb8c4312a7579b I get strange
"Invalid version syntax: <package> <version> (must start with a number)"
errors during M-x completion in the minibuffer.  I can't reproduce with
emacs -Q but in the error, <package> is always some (M)ELPA package.

For example, M-x mag TAB gives

  completion--some: Invalid version syntax: ‘Magit 3.0.0’ (must start with a number)

Here is a backtrace:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Invalid version syntax: ‘Magit 3.0.0’ (must start ...")
  error("Invalid version syntax: `%s' (must start with a nu..." "Magit 3.0.0")
  version-to-list("Magit 3.0.0")
  #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode -0x190dc04a7f35bb9f>)(magit-dispatch-popup)
  try-completion("mag" [## magit-section-show-headings vc-src-responsible-p Read\ manual tag-end dashboard-ls Set\ Slice debbugs-gnu-log-edit-mode mu4e-kill-update-mail Reduce\ To:\ to\ Cc: mu4e-view-header-field-keymap c-electric-lt-gt :neither yas-x-prompt cc-vars rainbow-colorize-ansi znc magit-xref-insert-button inactive gnus-agent-group-covered-p web-mode-extra-snippets smiley-directory message-expand-name-databases transient:magit-diff-refresh:--irreversible-delete er/looking-back-max tree-widget-button-keymap rust--same-line-p gnus-summary-show-article-from-menu-as-charset-ebcdic-int :where org-switch-to-buffer-other-window nexus th/visual-line-mode-init :mac xref--push-markers vc-bzr-shelve-menu display-even-when-displayed widget-face-sample-face-get time-subsecond gnus-summary-limit-to-marks he-line-search-regexp symbol-before-point-for-complete magit-filename utf7-direct-encoding-chars generic--normalize-comments org-get-org-file check-declare xref-group :org-comment stack-mode Boring\ headers ...] #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode -0x190dc04a7f35bb9f>))
  complete-with-action(nil [## magit-section-show-headings vc-src-responsible-p Read\ manual tag-end dashboard-ls Set\ Slice debbugs-gnu-log-edit-mode mu4e-kill-update-mail Reduce\ To:\ to\ Cc: mu4e-view-header-field-keymap c-electric-lt-gt :neither yas-x-prompt cc-vars rainbow-colorize-ansi znc magit-xref-insert-button inactive gnus-agent-group-covered-p web-mode-extra-snippets smiley-directory message-expand-name-databases transient:magit-diff-refresh:--irreversible-delete er/looking-back-max tree-widget-button-keymap rust--same-line-p gnus-summary-show-article-from-menu-as-charset-ebcdic-int :where org-switch-to-buffer-other-window nexus th/visual-line-mode-init :mac xref--push-markers vc-bzr-shelve-menu display-even-when-displayed widget-face-sample-face-get time-subsecond gnus-summary-limit-to-marks he-line-search-regexp symbol-before-point-for-complete magit-filename utf7-direct-encoding-chars generic--normalize-comments org-get-org-file check-declare xref-group :org-comment stack-mode Boring\ headers ...] "mag" #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode -0x190dc04a7f35bb9f>))
  #<subr F616e6f6e796d6f75732d6c616d626461_anonymous_lambda_46>("mag" #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode 0x4d1b943a9e2c352>) nil)
  completion-basic-try-completion("mag" #<subr F616e6f6e796d6f75732d6c616d626461_anonymous_lambda_46> #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode 0x4d1b943a9e2c352>) 3)
  #f(compiled-function (style) #<bytecode 0xaee4d3d0651ffdc>)(basic)
  completion--some(#f(compiled-function (style) #<bytecode 0xaee4d3d0651ffdc>) (basic partial-completion substring initials flex))
  completion--nth-completion(1 "mag" #<subr F616e6f6e796d6f75732d6c616d626461_anonymous_lambda_46> #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode 0x4d1b943a9e2c352>) 3 (metadata (affixation-function . read-extended-command--affixation) (category . command)))
  completion-try-completion("mag" #<subr F616e6f6e796d6f75732d6c616d626461_anonymous_lambda_46> #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode 0x4d1b943a9e2c352>) 3 (metadata (affixation-function . read-extended-command--affixation) (category . command)))
  completion--do-completion(5 8)
  completion--in-region-1(5 8)
  #f(compiled-function (start end collection predicate) #<bytecode 0x50e15298b25ed54>)(5 8 #<subr F616e6f6e796d6f75732d6c616d626461_anonymous_lambda_46> #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode 0x4d1b943a9e2c352>))
  apply(#f(compiled-function (start end collection predicate) #<bytecode 0x50e15298b25ed54>) (5 8 #<subr F616e6f6e796d6f75732d6c616d626461_anonymous_lambda_46> #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode 0x4d1b943a9e2c352>)))
  #f(compiled-function (funs global args) #<bytecode -0xf7a9686f11d622>)(nil nil (5 8 #<subr F616e6f6e796d6f75732d6c616d626461_anonymous_lambda_46> #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode 0x4d1b943a9e2c352>)))
  completion--in-region(5 8 #<subr F616e6f6e796d6f75732d6c616d626461_anonymous_lambda_46> #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode 0x4d1b943a9e2c352>))
  completion-in-region(5 8 #<subr F616e6f6e796d6f75732d6c616d626461_anonymous_lambda_46> #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode 0x4d1b943a9e2c352>))
  minibuffer-complete()
  funcall-interactively(minibuffer-complete)
  command-execute(minibuffer-complete)
  completing-read-default("M-x " #<subr F616e6f6e796d6f75732d6c616d626461_anonymous_lambda_46> #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode 0x4d1b943a9e2c352>) t nil extended-command-history nil nil)
  read-extended-command()
  byte-code("\302\30\11\303 \10E)\207" [execute-extended-command--last-typed current-prefix-arg nil read-extended-command] 3)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.29, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-05-13 built on thinkpad-t440p
Repository revision: 43701a84367b76ccc93ad46f89110486988eec10
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101001
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: mu4e:main

Minor modes in effect:
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  dynamic-completion-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  company-posframe-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  overwrite-mode: overwrite-mode-binary

Load-path shadows:
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-main hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-main
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-org hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-org
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-lists hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-lists
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-actions hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-actions
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-utils hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-utils
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-context hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-context
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-draft hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-draft
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-message hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-message
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-compose hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-compose
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view-common hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view-common
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view-old hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view-old
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view-gnus hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view-gnus
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-headers hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-headers
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-mark hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-mark
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-icalendar hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-icalendar
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-contrib hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-contrib
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-proc hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-proc
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-meta hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-meta
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-vars hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-vars
/home/horn/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20210427.833/transient hides /home/horn/Repos/el/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow hippie-exp emacsbug debbugs-gnu qp sort gnus-cite mail-extr
goto-addr magit-extras cursor-sensor face-remap paredit vc-mtn vc-hg
vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs display-fill-column-indicator
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator
xref project company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load
auto-package-update generic yaml-mode fish-mode cargo cargo-process
rust-utils rust-mode rust-rustfmt rust-playpen rust-compile rust-cargo
web-mode disp-table preview-latex auto-loads tex-site deadgrep spinner
hl-todo aggressive-indent rainbow-mode vc-git vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher epa-file dired-x mu4e-alert time ht s mu4e-icalendar
gnus-icalendar org-capture org-refile icalendar diary-lib diary-loaddefs
mu4e mu4e-org mu4e-main mu4e-view mu4e-view-gnus mu4e-view-common
mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-context mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido
rfc2368 mu4e-mark mu4e-proc mu4e-utils doc-view jka-compr image-mode
exif mu4e-lists mu4e-message flow-fill org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs mule-util hl-line mu4e-vars mu4e-meta
smtpmail-multi smtpmail sendmail ecomplete completion auto-dictionary
flyspell ispell tramp-smb which-key highlight-parentheses
company-restclient know-your-http-well http-status-codes http-relations
http-methods http-headers restclient company-posframe posframe company
pcase yasnippet compile find-func autoload radix-tree lisp-mnt
finder-inf mm-archive network-stream url-cache forge-list forge-commands
forge-semi forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs gogs forge-gitea gtea
forge-gitlab glab forge-github ghub-graphql treepy gsexp ghub let-alist
gnutls forge-notify forge-revnote forge-pullreq forge-issue forge-topic
forge-post markdown-mode color thingatpt noutline outline forge-repo
forge forge-core forge-db closql emacsql-sqlite advice emacsql
emacsql-compiler magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode git-commit
log-edit pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert
filenotify magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor server
magit-mode transient comp comp-cstr magit-git magit-section magit-utils
crm dash visual-filename-abbrev debbugs soap-client url-http url-auth
url-gw nsm warnings rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp bug-reference
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode vertico aggressive-completion
icomplete mb-depth use-package-diminish windmove alert log4e
notifications gntp rx tramp-cache tramp-sh recentf tree-widget
pixel-scroll saveplace savehist paren smiley gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc
puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus wid-edit nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums text-property-search mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils edmacro kmacro dracula-theme diminish cl-extra
help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec info
package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 720190 82629)
 (symbols 48 47153 5)
 (strings 32 211165 12252)
 (string-bytes 1 6287106)
 (vectors 16 84612)
 (vector-slots 8 1466836 93450)
 (floats 8 635 676)
 (intervals 56 4752 453)
 (buffers 992 30))