Subject: Re: bug#48376: Failure in "guix pull"

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 16:37:41 -0400

Hi Konrad,

Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Maxim,
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
>> Indeed.  I note that the error message that leads to a request to the
>> bug report mention it could be due to a network failure, which could
>> explain the transient nature of the problem we see here.
>>
>> Had you tried multiple times in a row with the same failure on that
>> commit?
>
> Yes, I tried again later on two different machines, without any problem.
>
> The reason I submitted a bug report is because Guix told me so. I
> assumed that even if the root cause was a network issue, something had
> then happened that shouldn't happen. If that's not the case, then the
> error message should be improved. A minimal improvement would be to say
> "Please report unless you see a comment about networking issues above.".

I agree!  We don't want people to send bug reports every time their
network is flaky, if this is indeed what has happened.  Would you be
interested at surveying if that's the case in the current code?  Perhaps
the right change would then become apparent.

Thank you,

Maxim