Subject: bug#4836: Further information on the "<packet> undefined" error w/ keypress-modifying software?

From: Evan Driscoll <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:06:41 -0500

I just ran across a small annoyance today, and in looking for a solution
ran across these two bugs. 4836 sounds like it's very closely related to
what I'm seeing, and there's some discussion about how it relates to
4814, so here goes.

Brief description:
  Using Emacs >=23 with AllChars causes an error message "<packet>
  is undefined" to appear when entering a compose key sequence.

How I did caused the bug to surface:

 - Install AllChars (http://sourceforge.net/projects/allchars/).
   This is a program that gives Windows a compose key feature.
 - Install Emacs >=23.
 - Start AllChars with the default configuration, start Emacs.
 - Try to use a compose-key sequence, e.g. '<compose> / o' or
   '<compose> ` a'. (By default, <compose> is <menu>, but I tried
   another option or two.)

Symptoms:

 - In Emacs 22.3, the composed character (ø or à) shows up as
   expected
 - In Emacs 23.1 and 23.2, as well as CVS Emacs distributed at
   ntemacs.sourceforge.net, an error in the minibuffer is
   displayed: "<packet> is undefined"

Hopefully this'll help.

Evan Driscoll