Subject: 28.0.50; Problem in dired with symbolic links to Tramp-syntax files

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 15:22:59 +0200

Apparently dired passes symlinks to Tramp in unfortunate ways.

For instance:

(cd /tmp; ln -s /sudo:root@localhost:/tmp/foo bar)
emacs -Q /tmp/

will infloop asking for a password -- `C-g' will break, but it'll just
ask again apparently forever, and you have to kill Emacs to get out of
the loop.

(cd /tmp; ln -s /sudo:root@nosuchhost:/tmp/foo bar)
emacs -Q /tmp/

won't even give you a prompt, but won't display anything -- hanging
while resolving the "nosuchhost" name?

I haven't tried to debug either case.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 71, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-05-10 built on xo
Repository revision: aa354dd55b213b86ee8e3aa0365a6ad915838458
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation'

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no