Subject: bug#48337: Fwd: 28.0.50; Emacs crashing randomly (possibly minibuffer activity related)

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 09:54:52 +0200

> The deeper cause of the bug is that calling buffer-list-update-hook
 > simply doesn't belong in record-window-buffer.  That hook should be
 > called when the buffer list changes, not when a window's current buffer
 > gets "recorded".
 >
 > So, as the main fix, I propose moving the call of buffer-list-update-hook
 > to (some of) the places where record-window-buffer gets called, those
 > places where the buffer list changes.  There are exactly two such places,
 > both in window.c.  This will prevent the chain of events in read_minibuf
 > outlined above.

Alan, please take one step back and reconsider.  IIUC you added the
`record-window-buffer' call to read_minibuf, added the DO-MINIBUF
argument to `record-window-buffer' and now decide that
`buffer-list-update-hook' doesn't belong into `record-window-buffer'.

Aren't you putting the cart before the horse?  That decision might be
correct but still constitutes a change that affects all applications
running `buffer-list-update-hook'.

martin