Subject: No <title> elements in HTML manual pages

From: Maxim Nikulin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 21:48:26 +0700

HTML pages of Emacs manual, e.g.
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Motion.html
do not have <title> element. Open page source in browser,
inspector in browser developer tools, or just fetch the page
using e.g. curl to see that metadata in <head> element
are rather scarce.

As a result, browser tab title is not informative. In the case of
Firefox in can be "google.com/url?q=http..." due to intermediate
redirection and a bug in Firefox https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/1401091
Even if Firefox had not this bug, node names instead of URLs
it tab titles would provide better user experience.

For the particular page, my expectation for <title> element content
is something like
- "30.2 Motion (Emacs Lisp)"
- "(elisp) Motion"
- "30.2 Motion"

Texinfo manual is not affected, its pages contains reasonable
<title>, e.g.
https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/Generating-HTML.html
I hope, it is enough to change some settings of HTML export for Emacs
manuals to improve quality of generated pages. However I am not familiar
with texinfo enough to provide instructions which options should be tuned.

The reason why I use HTML format of Emacs manuals is that I have not
enough experience with Emacs yet. So it easier to find particular
sections using search engines that take into account relevance or even
synonyms. Docstrings for Emacs functions and variables rarely have
direct links to texinfo nodes from manuals that provides higher level
overview or guide for related functionality.