Subject: [bug#48325] update of julia to 1.6.1

From: Jean-Baptiste Volatier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 13:46:30 +0000

zimoun <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> ┌ Error: curl_easy_setopt: 48
>> └ @ Downloads.Curl /tmp/guix-build-julia-1.6.1.drv-0/julia-1.6.1/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Downloads/src/Curl/utils.jl:36
>
> Soemthing appears to me wrong somewhere. Why does the build directory
> appear in the output directory? This reference should not appear, IMHO.

I think this is Julia related, during the build process the code from
the stdlib is precompiled in the sysimage and the paths are stored then.
I sometimes create custom sysimage to package some julia based apps
and I have the same behavior on a non-Guix system.
Some info about sysimages [1] from the doc of PackageCompiler, a project
that makes it easy to create custom sysimages.
That could also be a potential future improvement, make it easy for users
to create variants of the julia guix package with different sysimages.
That way we can make it much faster to load julia packages that are not part
of stdlib, Plots.jl for example.

[1] https://julialang.github.io/PackageCompiler.jl/dev/sysimages/#What-is-a-sysimage-1

> Well, let first converge to a patch set updating Julia then let discuss
> if this very same patch set fixes the bug or if the fix will be done in
> another patch. WDYT?

Agreed.

Cheers,
JB