Subject: [bug#48325] [PATCH v5 5/5] DRAFT gnu: julia: Update to 1.6.1.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 23:01:04 +0200

Jean-Baptiste Volatier schreef op zo 04-07-2021 om 17:47 [+0000]:
[...]
> > Also, I wonder if this causes reproducibility issues --- if we try to rebuild
> > julia after, say, 50 years, e.g. by using "guix time-machine", wouldn't the
> > certificates become invalid, and would therefore the build of Julia fail?
> 
> I thought that guix build was running with time set 1st January 1970 so that
> should not happen? Or am I mistaken?

There is an issue on https://issues.guix.gnu.org on using time namespaces
to always run with with time set to 1970 (or some other date).  I can't
find it anymore though.  The problem was that the ‘real time’ clock could
not be adjusted.

Maybe we could rewind the other clocks anyway, even if the ‘real time clock’
cannot be adjusted?  Or maybe the inconsistency would cause problems ...

SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH is set to 1 jan 1970 and likewise for the 'mtime'
and 'atime' of files in /gnu/store (or was it some other date?) though.

Greetings,
Maxime.