Subject: bug#48321: 27.2; Text copied from *grep* buffer has NUL (0x00) characters

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 14:53:07 +0200

"R. Diez" <[email-masked]> writes:

> In my opinion, copying text from a *grep* buffer that looks like ":"
> should not suddenly deliver a NUL character instead. That's just
> unexpected and prone to problems down the line.

Yup.  This is cleverly done by this bit in `grep-regexp-alist':

     nil nil
     (3 '(face nil display ":")))

That is -- the "highlight" we're applying is a `display' spec that says
that the separator should be displayed as ":".

Stefan's suggestion to transform the nul character in the filter in grep
wouldn't quite work, I think -- the filtering is done before the
matching.  So instead we need the thing that processes
`compilation-error-regexp-alist' to do the transformation after the
matches, I think?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no