Subject: bug#48317: 27.1; text-property-search-forward moves point to end when not found

From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 12:41:17 -0400

The documentation of function text-property-search-forward says:

    If not found, return nil and don’t move point.

Yet I find it moves point to eob.

To reproduce in emacs -Q, with point at beginning of *scratch* buffer with
text in it, eval:

(require 'text-property-search)
(text-property-search-forward 'facet 'foo)

point is moved to end of buffer.

I can reporoduce this in GNUS Emacs 27.1 and the macport of 27.2.

Howard

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0, NS appkit-1671.60 Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G95))
 of 2020-08-12 built on builder10-14.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.15.7

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Entering debugger...
Back to top level
Entering debugger...
Back to top level
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window, C-M-v to scroll help.
#s(prop-match 54 201 nil)
Mark activated
read--expression: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
Quit
Quit
Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES
THREADS JSON PDUMPER

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs time-date subr-x mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-extra seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv flyspell ispell
text-property-search thingatpt help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug
backtrace help-mode easymenu find-func cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win
ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 58535 6154)
 (symbols 48 6797 1)
 (strings 32 20507 1782)
 (string-bytes 1 622865)
 (vectors 16 11726)
 (vector-slots 8 142380 15728)
 (floats 8 34 33)
 (intervals 56 320 3)
 (buffers 1000 14))