Subject: 28.0.50; Cannot list the list group

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2021 14:22:37 +0300

I cannot repeat this in emacs -Q, this takes place in my running Emacs
session:

I do:
C-h f list

and inside I go with cursor to the hyperlinked `list` followed by the
word "group". I press enter, and I get this:

(lax-plist-put plist prop val)
  Change value in PLIST of PROP to VAL, comparing with ‘equal’.
  (setq plist (plist-put plist "d" 4))

(plist-member plist prop)
  Return non-nil if PLIST has the property PROP.
  (plist-member '(a 1 b 2 c 3) 'b)
    ⇒ (b 2 c 3)

Data About Lists

(length sequence)
  Return the length of vector, list or string SEQUENCE.
  (length '(a b c))
    ⇒ 3

(length<)
----------- HERE IS WHERE LISTING STOPS WITH ERROR:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  string-match("\n" nil 0)
  split-string(nil "\n")
  shortdoc--display-function((length< :eval (length< '(a b c) 1)))
  #f(compiled-function (data) #<bytecode 0xb241ae7b96ca90>)((length< :eval (length< '(a b c) 1)))
  mapc(#f(compiled-function (data) #<bytecode 0xb241ae7b96ca90>) ("Making Lists" (make-list :eval (make-list 5 'a)) (cons :eval (cons 1 '(2 3 4))) (list :eval (list 1 2 3)) (number-sequence :eval (number-sequence 5 8)) "Operations on Lists" (append :eval (append '("foo" "bar") '("zot"))) (copy-tree :eval (copy-tree '(1 (2 3) 4))) (flatten-tree :eval (flatten-tree '(1 (2 3) 4))) (car :eval (car '(one two three))) (cdr :eval (cdr '(one two three))) (last :eval (last '(one two three))) (butlast :eval (butlast '(one two three))) (nbutlast :eval (nbutlast (list 'one 'two 'three))) (nth :eval (nth 1 '(one two three))) (nthcdr :eval (nthcdr 1 '(one two three))) (elt :eval (elt '(one two three) 1)) (car-safe :eval (car-safe '(one two three))) (cdr-safe :eval (cdr-safe '(one two three))) (push :no-eval* (push 'a list)) (pop :no-eval* (pop list)) (setcar :no-eval (setcar list 'c) :result c) (setcdr :no-eval (setcdr list (list c)) :result '(c)) (nconc :eval (nconc (list 1) (list 2 3 4))) (delq :eval (delq 2 (list 1 2 3 4)) :eval (delq "a" (list "a" "b" "c" "d"))) (delete :eval (delete 2 (list 1 2 3 4)) :eval (delete "a" (list "a" "b" "c" "d"))) (remove :eval (remove 2 '(1 2 3 4)) :eval (remove "a" '("a" "b" "c" "d"))) (delete-dups :eval (delete-dups (list 1 2 4 3 2 4))) "Mapping Over Lists" (mapcar :eval (mapcar #'list '(1 2 3))) (mapcan :eval (mapcan #'list '(1 2 3))) (mapc :eval (mapc #'insert '("1" "2" "3"))) (reduce :eval (reduce #'+ '(1 2 3))) (mapconcat :eval (mapconcat #'identity '("foo" "bar") "|")) "Predicates" (listp :eval (listp '(1 2 3)) :eval (listp nil) :eval (listp '(1 . 2))) (consp :eval (consp '(1 2 3)) :eval (consp nil)) (proper-list-p :eval (proper-list-p '(1 2 3)) :eval (proper-list-p nil) :eval (proper-list-p '(1 . 2))) (null :eval (null nil)) (atom :eval (atom 'a)) (nlistp :eval (nlistp '(1 2 3)) :eval (nlistp t) :eval (nlistp '(1 . 2))) "Finding Elements" (memq :eval (memq 2 '(1 2 3)) :eval (memq 2.0 '(1.0 2.0 3.0)) :eval (memq "b" '("a" "b" "c"))) (member :eval (member 2 '(1 2 3)) :eval (member "b" '("a" "b" "c"))) (remq :eval (remq 2 '(1 2 3 2 4 2)) :eval (remq "b" '("a" "b" "c"))) (memql :eval (memql 2.0 '(1.0 2.0 3.0))) (member-ignore-case :eval (member-ignore-case "foo" '("bar" "Foo" "zot"))) "Association Lists" (assoc :eval (assoc 'b '((a 1) (b 2)))) (rassoc :eval (rassoc '2 '((a . 1) (b . 2)))) ...))
  shortdoc-display-group(list)
  #f(compiled-function (_) #<bytecode -0x1429fab357eafcb2>)(#<marker (moves after insertion) at 119 in *Help*>)
  button-activate(#<marker (moves after insertion) at 119 in *Help*> nil)
  push-button(119)
  funcall-interactively(push-button 119)
  call-interactively(push-button nil nil)
  command-execute(push-button)

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.17.4, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2021-05-02 built on protected.rcdrun.com
Repository revision: f1adb6b77a948e4f2f3223940edb15e56c30466d
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Parabola GNU/Linux-libre

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/package/text/emacs --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11
XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 54598 6961)
 (symbols 48 7125 3)
 (strings 32 19950 2246)
 (string-bytes 1 637364)
 (vectors 16 14082)
 (vector-slots 8 181945 10200)
 (floats 8 23 47)
 (intervals 56 240 0)
 (buffers 992 11))

-- 
Thanks,
Jean Louis

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns