Subject: Re: bug#48307: Feature request: provide default keybindings to change the font size in all windows

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 12:58:59 +0000

Thanks for your feedback, a few comments before updating the patch:

>> The main added feature is that face resizing is now bounded (between 10 
>> and 500).
>
> Hmm, the GCS frowns on arbitrary limits,
>

What is "the GCS"?

>
> so perhaps we should have a defcustom to control the limits?
>

I'd rather wait for a feature request to add a defcustom for this.  IMO 
10-500 is a reasonable range for that feature, 10 is really small and 500 
is really huge.

>
> Also, I wonder whether we should say "height of the default face's 
> font", because this is what this actually does.  I'm not sure every user 
> will understand the notion of the height of a face.
>

I used "height" because it's what text-scale-{adjust,increase,decrease} 
use.  Otherwise I would have used the word "size" indeed.  WDYT?

>> +Buffer-local face adjustements remain in effect when global face 
>> +adjustments are made.
>
> I don't think I understand what this means, so it would be good to 
> clarify that.
>

It means that if you C-x C-+ in a buffer B (buffer-local face adjustment), 
and then C-x C-M-+, the buffer-local adjustment in B remains in effect, or 
IOW that after C-x C-M-+ the buffer B will still have a larger font than 
the other buffers.