Subject: Re: bug#48300: closed (Re: Emacs cursor theme is not inherited from the OS when using foreign Guix)

From: Thiago Jung Bauermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 17:26:08 -0300

Hello,

Em quinta-feira, 20 de janeiro de 2022, às 08:27:38 -03, Jorge P.  de 
Morais Neto via Bug reports for GNU Guix escreveu:
> Hello.  So the solution to the bug is for the user to manually write the
> file ~/.config/systemd/user/gnome-shell-x11.service.d/override.conf ?
> 
> I would like to know a little more about that.  What is the advantage of
> specifying the environment variables on that file instead of ~/.profile?

I don’t know if this applies to all distributions, but at least in Ubuntu, 
the GNOME on Wayland and KDE on Wayland desktop sessions are started 
without a shell being invoked at any point, so ~/.profile and related files 
don’t get evaluated.

In KDE, the way to define environment variables that will be set in the 
Wayland session is to put a shell script in ~/.config/plasma-workspace/env/.

I hadn’t figured out how to do it in GNOME when I briefly searched for it. 
This systemd override file seems to be the solution.

-- 
Thanks,
Thiago